Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Throughout my internship, I have been using several simulation programs endorsed by NASA where I am able to input theoretical values that affect the principles of aerodynamics and observe what the result may be. Each simulator was used to determine the most ideal environment for flight efficiency and how the design of the aircraft must be altered in order to adapt to such environmental changes. The first program I used was an engine simulator where I explored how a jet engine produces thrust by interactively altering the different engine parameters.

The software allows me to choose from four different types of engines. After I have selected an engine, I am able to alter the speed (measured in kilometers per hour) generated by the turbine as well as what altitude the plane is flying at. Here is an image of my first design of a J85 jet engine where I had set the speed of the engine to 845 km/h and the altitude at 14,333.33 meters.

 
After observing what effect the initial altitude the jet engine had on the engine performance, I decreased the altitude that the aircraft would travel and compared the values of engine performance. As the altitude decreases, the net thrust, gross thrust, and core airflow increases. One specific factor that determines the efficiency of an aircraft's performance is a Thrust Specific Fuel Consumption factor (TSFC). When the speed, altitude, or throttle is increased, the TSFC increases which means that the aircraft becomes less fuel efficient. A lower TSFC value means that the engine is more fuel efficient. Since the altitude has decreased in the second picture, the aircraft is more fuel efficient.

 
As my internship continues, I will be explaining more about how efficiency alters through changes certain variables in these simulation programs.















No comments:

Post a Comment